Tuesday, October 07, 2008

what is it about autumn?

so many people seem to respond to the beginning of fall.  in most parts of the country (not so much here, alas) it is beautiful and colorful.  for the kids there is the excitement of a new school year and new clothes.  thoughts turn to baking things with cinnamon and pumpkin.


and, of course, there is halloween.  (a marvelous holiday that ought to be celebrated worldwide. i'm just saying).  the decorating; finding things in black and orange and getting pumpkins and candles and leafy wreaths.  preparing for trick-or-treaters and finding just the right candy.  dressing up....
i get to be princess peach this year. I found a pattern that is almost exact to this dress  - except the high collar.  luckily it is relatively simple. 

anyway - so what is it? what is your favorite part of autumn? halloween? the beauty of mother nature? the food? anticipation of the coming holiday season?  I love it all.  Truly I think I am at my happiest in the autumn.  time to sew and bake and snuggle up with hot cocoa and a good book when the sun sets far too early. 

oh yeah. that's the life!

6 comments:

Nancy H. said...

I love it all too. Fall is my favorite season!

Jeanne said...

I love baking bread (doing it and smelling it), I love wearing sweaters, I love all the colors, I love planning and eating a great big Thanksgiving dinner, and I love getting Boo excited for her birthday. This season always seems to be more about family to me.

Gurgy said...

I LOVE Fall, it is also my favorite season and for all the reasons you listed. The weather is starting to get cooler, the leaves are turning, the holiday seasons are getting closer, I just feel the love more at this time of year. Getting ready to start my holiday cookie and candy making.. yep my time of year.

Nanette said...

I love the colors of the leaves and PUMPKIN PIE!

The Au Family said...

Oh my....I could go on and on and on. I LOVE fall! I love pumpkin bread and the change in weather and going to pumpkin patches, decorating my home in wonderful fall colors and so much more!

Maxine Parrish said...

Completely agreed. Hooray for autumn and everything that comes with it!

And yes, we're mostly just crazy. Hey, if your deli actually bothered to carry head cheese, wouldn't you be even the teensiest bit curious? Most people probably couldn't try it, even if they wanted to! I consider myself lucky to have this opportunity, thankyouverymuch (the fact that it was nasty is entirely beside the point).