Wednesday, August 13, 2008

sometimes, like on days when:
1. I feel 97% crummy
2. I don't get jack done around the house
3. I let the boys play video games all. day. long..
sometimes I feel like I'm not doing such a great job at this whole "mom" thing and I look at how big my kids are and how much I still desperately want to teach them and do with them and I wonder if I'll ever, ever manage it.

I take an inordinate amount of comfort from pictures like these. Those kids? Those are happy kids. And I am so grateful for their bright and shining presence in my life and in my home.  Do I deserve it? 

Not a chance. 

Am I gonna keep em? 

You betcha. 

Every few days Fletcher will walk by me, fully preoccupied with something else and headed for some daring mission of epic proportions:

Fletcher:  Mom?
Me: Yes dear?
Fletcher: You're awesome. 
Me: looks up in order to give culprit a big hug, but he's already gone into the other room to do the important stuff. 

And yesterday:

Me: Alright, no more gross talk. Every time either one of you says something gross I am totally taking money out of your allowance! 
not long after this the fletch exits the bathtub and aims his little bum at his brother, and makes shooting noises. Oh yes. The poo shooter. 
Me: That's it! Fletcher I get 10 cents from your allowance this week! 
Connor: No! No don't take it! He's sorry! Take mine instead! 

what am I supposed to do with that?! besides cry a little bit, I mean.  I can hardly send one of them to their room without the other one tearfully asking me if he can go to, so his brother won't be alone and sad. 

so it's nice, on days like these, when I'm feeling a little bit less good-mom-ish and even less human-not-zombie-ish, to remember that even if I'm not doing something right, they are turning out okay so far. 

love you boys.


4 comments:

Nancy H. said...

That is soooo sweet. I think you're doing a great job!

Gurgy said...

Waaaa... dang it now you made me cry!!! You are a wonderful mom sweetie, I wish I was half the parent you are!

Erin said...

Awww, I love these posts! I'm right there with you sister, sometimes (ok, lots of times) I wonder how these kids are so amazing...

Joni said...

so, this is what I have to look forward to when my guy gets bigger. the poo shooter. and unberable sweetness.