Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Today is the first day of Lent.
Not that I'm Catholic or anything, but as a writer on msn.com noted today, Lent is being observed my more and more non-Catholic people every year. Funny though, just last week some friends of ours decided that to be healthier, they were going to eschew consumption of any and all junk type foods including desserts and EVEN popcorn, until Easter.
At which time they will stuff themselves with Easter candies and be sick for weeks afterward.
Well my husband thought this would be a good idea, since we have been trying very hard to be healthier-- especially in the food category (no more ice cream for lunch I guess) for several months now. I didn't realize just how much junk I ate until I had to stop eating it! If left to my own devices, I would probably subsist entirely on a diet of Bran Flakes cereal, ice cream, lost of french bread, even more chocolate, and the occasional fruit. It's amazing that I am not 400 lbs. In fact I am on the good side of average, I'll have you know; I went from a size 12 to a size 8 in just the past 6 months. So there.
But anyway, I'm pretty much left with cereal and fruit, and now have to expand my horizons and figure out how to cook some healthy-yet-scrumptious meals for dinner; pack lunches that consist of more than a cold hot dog and fruit snacks, and make sure that we all drink more water and less juice.
I am still allowing us popcorn however, since I make it in an air popper and not the microwave, and can control the amount and type of butter and salt. You gotta give yourself something right!

My time on the internet is, I fear, swiftly becoming an addiction. I need to limit myself! I'm emailing and reading stuff and "window" shopping (should I call it Windows XP shopping?) for a large part of my day lately. Some sites that I like, and that may tell you a little bit about me :
www.megcabot.com - one of my favorite YA authors

www.quilterscache.com - it is what it says! The Quilters Cache! Free patterns galore.

www.thegrocerygame.com - coupon clippers paradise.

www.lds.org - my own religious affiliation.

www.evanovich.com - very funny lady! Love her books!

www.lapl.org - where I get most of my books

www.amazon.com - where I get the rest of my books

www.caliva.org - website for the homeschool program I use

www.craigslist.org - your own online yard sale!

Enough for me today. Time to remind the kids that I exist and that I still know when they're misbehaving. Looking forward to good weather again soon so we can get OUT! - K

No comments: